DISCLAIMER: These picks are for entertainment value only. No actual money is being wagered.
When we were recording our Fivecast last night, I asked Toro if he meant to sit this first week out. He said he didn't, but he was glad he did, since everyone's basically taking wild swings in the dark on opening weekend. After looking at some of the results, maybe we should have all taken a bye week. Especially me and Casual Hoya, who got absolutely rocked.
But a few people managed to come out ahead last week. Here are the standings:
- Sean Keeley, Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician, $1040.90 (+$40.90)
- Kevin Meacham, The UConn Blog, $1040.82 (+$40.82)
- Scott, Bearcats Blog, $1021.81 (+$21.81)
- GarySJ, Voodoo Five, $994.09 (-$5.91)
- Ken DeCelles, Voodoo Five, $976.00 (-$24.00)
- Hoya Suxa: $975.86 (-$24.14)
- WVUIE97, The Smoking Musket, $946.36 (-$53.64)
- Chas Rich, Pitt Blather, $945.45 (-$54.55)
- Mark Ennis, Big East Coast Bias, $935.45 (-$64.55)
- Chris Lane, The Nova Blog, $893.18 (-$106.82)
- Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog, $893.18 (-$106.82)
- Voodoo 5, Voodoo Five, $867.05 (-$132.95)
- Casual Hoya, $775.00 (-$225.00)
Not that it matters since we're only one week in, but Chris gets the advantage over Andrew because he has more correct bets, by a whopping 2 to 1. Also, once we get more weeks under our bet I'll start providing a spreadsheet that covers the whole season, so you can check my math and make sure I'm not gypping you.
BEST BET: Probably Ken and Kevin both taking USF over Notre Dame on the money line, which paid $320 on a $100 fake bet. Honorable mention to myself for picking LSU, except I only put a fake fiver on that game. And it was the only fake bet I got right.
WORST BET: Anyone who dropped fake money on North Texas to cover 14 points against SCUMBAGS. It was 28-0 Golden Panthers after one quarter, and it never really got any better.
MOST DEGENERATE BET: Think we have to go with Casual Hoya for this one. Not only did he fake-bet $100 on a Sun Belt game (the aforementioned North Texas-SCUMBAGS debacle), but then he put another 100 fake dollars down on a GODAWFUL Memphis team to cover against the looming Mississippi State death trap. Those... went badly. Coming in a close second, Kevin of The UConn Blog deciding to lay the wood on New Mexico State by taking visiting Ohio and the points. I don't remember the last time I saw either of those teams play, and I bet Kevin doesn't either.