Jawanza Poland scored 13 points in his season debut as the USF Bulls (7-5) take care of the Cleveland State Vikings (10-2) 70-55 at the St. Pete Times Forum.
Poland, who missed the first 11 games due to a back injury and a two-game NCAA suspension for playing in an unsanctioned summer league game took over in the second half, scoring all 13 points in the final 20 minutes. Augustus Gilchrist had 12 points and 8 rebounds for the Bulls while Ron Anderson Jr. and Anthony Collins each had 11 points. Tim Kamczyc had 14 points for Cleveland State to lead all scorers.
Some quick thoughts from the game.
- After struggling against the last couple of high pressure teams, Anthony Collins did a great job breaking the CSU press. Collins stat line toinght was 11 PTS/6 AST/3 STL/3 REB/2 TO. You can't ask anymore than that. AC was able to split through the double teams with ease for most of the night, and put Trevon Harmon and Jeremy Montgomery in foul trouble. His first step is the fastest I've seen since Brian Swift and made some nice moves to the basket in transition. Nights like these show you the promise he has. Can't wait to watch him for the next three and a half years.
- The Bulls held Vikings to 35% shooting for the night, including going 7-26 from three. Stan Heath rotated from a 1-3-1 to a 2-3 zone all night, and CSU was never able to shoot out of it.
- I don't think I've seen Gus that aggressive in a long time. Sure he 3-12 effort from the field isn't great, but he was aggressive boxing out for rebounds, was active on the defensive end, and earned some well deserved trips to the line. Even passed out of double teams well tonight.
- 19-22 from the line, including hitting 15-16 in the second half. Excellent work everyone.
- 12 turnovers against a team that was averaging 20 a game? I'll take it. Also forced 16 turnovers.
Oh yeah, there was this as well (h/t to Bubbaprog as always)
MISS U JAWANZA!