Gee, TCU, how could you leave all this?
You know what's a really good way to rip the heart out of anyone who might have been interested in fake betting? Just have TCU decide to leave a conference they hadn't even joined yet and go to the Big XII, leaving most of our schools in the lurch. Half the contestants didn't even bet, and one of them who did, shouldn't have. More on that in a minute.
If you want to look over everyone's picks, check out the complete results here. The current standings look like this:
- Kevin Meacham, The UConn Blog: $1,565.62
- Chas Rich, Pitt Blather: $1,401.81
- Scott, Bearcats Blog: $1,379.99
- Chris Lane, The Nova Blog: $1,107.73
- Voodoo 5, Voodoo Five: $980.60
- Mengus22, Big East Coast Bias: $958.15
- GarySJ, Voodoo Five: $842.18
- WVUIE97, The Smoking Musket: $775.80
- Hoya Suxa: $771.82
- Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog: $661.37
- Toro Grande, Voodoo Five: $565.01
- Casual Hoya: $550.01
- Ken DeCelles, Voodoo Five: $174.26
BEST BET: There were a couple of fun laments in the comments people left with their fake bets this week. Chris from The Nova Blog said he was rapidly losing faith in his ability to pick games, so naturally he goes 3-for-3 and gets right back in the game by winning over $200 in fake money.
Honorable mention to Scott, who rationalized his fake bet of NC State -10.5 against Central Michigan by saying that if Kentucky could beat the Chippewas by 14, then so could the Wolfpack. Final score: NC State 38, CMU 24.
WORST BET: And then there was me. I should have taken a bye. I didn't have a feel for any of the picks on the board. I pushed ahead anyway. And everything totally went to hell. Wake Forest won. Nebraska and Syracuse won without covering. 130 fake dollars right down the drain. That's how you don't do it.
MOST DEGENERATE BET: There weren't many crazy bets, but I did enjoy Gary rolling the dice with no less than eight underdogs on the money line, even if only one of them ended up winning.