Oops, I almost forgot the DISCLAIMER: This contest is for entertainment purposes only. No actual wagering is being performed.
How much worse can it get for the Big East? The best teams are coached by stumblebums. No one is ranked in the AP Top 25 for the first time since 1995. The entire league is failing miserably against its peers. And now, someone who doesn't even represent a football school has jumped out to a healthy lead in the "Protect Your Unit" Game standings.
Here's where everyone stands after Week 4, and the volcanic reaction from Messrs. Glaude and Keeley this coming week ought to be spectacular. Weekly gains or losses are in parentheses.
- Casual Hoya, $1,064.08 (+$208.18)
- Toro Grande, $946.30 ($0)
- Scott/Bearcats Blog, $932.64 (-$6.00)
- Hoya Suxa, $882.27 (-$29.09)
- Kevin Meacham, The UConn Blog, $871.82 (+$10.00)
- Sean Keeley, Troy Nunes Is an Absolute Magician, $863.64 (+$72.73)
- Chas Rich, Pitt Blather, $857.37 (-$104.00)
- WVUIE97, The Smoking Musket, $836.36 ($0)
- Ken DeCelles, $828.61 (-$44.10)
- Voodoo 5, $737.36 (-$125.00)
- Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog, $604.55 (-$56.82)
- Chris Lane, The Nova Blog, $531.81 (-$59.10)
Click here for the Microsoft Excel results file, with individual results and of course the graph of everyone's... um, progress? On the Totals sheet, the weeks highlighted in yellow are the weeks where a player took a bye week. Everyone's allowed two during the regular season.
Let's check the best, worst, and most degenerate bets of the week.
BEST BET: Casual Hoya had the biggest one-week gain so far in this contest on the back of two big bets. One was a pretty easy one, loading up on Miami to stomp Pittsburgh. The other was NC State going on the road to Georgia Tech and getting 8 points. The Wolfpack won by 17, entering the Top 25 in the process while winning Casual Hoya a bunch of fake money. Excellent call by them, and it just edged out Scott hitting a three-team tease.
WORST BET: I said they were stupid bets when I made them and they didn't disappoint me, as I went 0-for-5 on my underdog bets. I've lost a shitton of money on the money line and have learned a very painful lesson. Well, I guess it could have been more painful. No one's after my kneecaps or anything.
MOST DEGENERATE BET: Screw it, I win that one too. Those bets defied all common sense and I made them anyway. And this coming from someone who absolutely reveres logic and common sense. I suck.