DISCLAIMER: This contest is for entertainment purposes only. No actual wagering is being performed.
I think people might be figuring out where the value is. Of the 10 players who made fake bets this week, five came out ahead, and only two players lost money of any significant amount -- although oddly enough, those two players are at opposite ends of the standings. This was also the first week that we all collectively won money... $157.65 to be exact. Yay us!
Casual Hoya maintains their lead from Week 4, but it's a lot closer thanks to a big week from WVUIE97 from The Smoking Musket, who hit three of their four bets to pull to within $8.63 of the lead. Here are the complete standings, along with the weekly gains and losses.
- Casual Hoya - $976.80 (-$87.28)
- WVUIE97, The Smoking Musket - $968.17 (+$131.81)
- Toro Grande - $935.38 (-$10.92)
- Scott, Bearcats Blog - $930.05 (-$2.59)
- Kevin Meacham, The UConn Blog - $915.75 (+$43.93)
- Chas Rich, Pitt Blather - $913.27 (+$55.90)
- Hoya Suxa - $882.27 ($0)
- Sean Keeley, Troy Nunes Is an Absolute Magician - $863.64 ($0)
- Voodoo 5 - $820.99 (+$83.63)
- Ken DeCelles - $817.24 (-$11.37)
- Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog - $665.91 (+$61.36)
- Chris Lane, The Nova Blog - $424.99 (-$106.82)
Here's the Microsoft Excel file with everyone's individual bets and results, and the graph of our progress so far, if you can call it progress.
Now for the best, worst, and most degenerate bets.
BEST BET: While I'm tempted to heap praise on everyone who threw down fake money on Tulane and/or the under in their hilarious win over Rutgers, I have to give some respect to WVUIE97. Part of his big week was having the guts to roll with Oklahoma in the Red River
Rivalry SHOOTOUT SHOOTOUT SHOOTOUT over Texas, a game where almost any outcome is possible. He even tried to bet more money on the game than he was allowed, and his boldness was rewarded.
WORST BET: I can tell Chris is betting frustrated. Sure he's getting really unlucky. But at some point, if someone is pissing you off repeatedly, you have to back away and stop betting their games (see: "fuck you Kiffin" and losing another $50 on him anyway). A head-clearing bye week might be a good idea at this point.
MOST DEGENERATE BET: Andrew betting $75 on Eastern Michigan over Ohio. It just kills me for some reason when we go big on small-time games like this.